Armed Forces Day is set aside for us to give recognition and appreciation to those who are presently serving in all the different branches of service. We need to get creative in showing our service men and women appreciation, Biblically we can intercede for them. The Word of God lays out a format which can be followed in battling enemies of a nation with a motto, “The People of God” or “In God We Trust.” There are those who are trained to go and fight, there are those who are commissioned to pray. This is clearly seen in Exodus 17:10-13. Exodus records the events of a battle commissioned by Moses and anointed by God to fight against the Amalekites who threatened the people of God. The warrior leading the Lord’s army was Joshua, whose name means “Yahweh is salvation.” The Bible says, “So Joshua fought the Amalekites… Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelite’s were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired… Aaron and Hur held up his hands… so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.”
How should we pray for our service men and women?
- Pray that the families, relatives and friends of our military members may be strengthened in this time of concern and anxiety.
- Pray that the Lord may help families with men and women in the armed forces to cope with daily challenges in the absence of their loved ones.
- Pray for our brothers and sisters as they go forth with courage and determination to face the forces of violence, weapons of destruction and hearts filled with hate.
- Pray that in the midst of destruction, the Lord will guide our service men and women, that they may be reunited with families.
- Pray for faith, hope, and comfort for all who are waiting for their soldiers to come home.
- Pray that departing soldiers will come to Christ and that they may be faithful, daily as they trust Him in the land of danger.
- Pray that those who are married will seek the Lord for strength to be faithful to each other in this time of separation.
- Pray that the Lord will reveal His companionship, strength and wisdom to all serving our country.
Jesus said, there will be war until the end of time. (Matthew 24:16; Mark 13:7) Will you be like Moses, Aaron and Hur, prayer intercessors for those who answer the call to serve those you live in the United States of America. Will you place your mission to pray first this month for our Armed Forces?